Saturday 8 September 2007

My organic delivery Service:::

The organic culture here in Buenos Aires is small but it definitely exists. You’ll find some of the big markets carry a minimal selection of organic products. However, in order to get a bountiful supply you must subscribe to a delivery service like mine...

El Rincon Organico::

On Sunday evenings, I contemplate what fruits and veggies I still have in my fridge and what I should order for the week ahead. I sit down at my computer and start my email order to El Rincon Organico. I look at their list of what’s available. The Spanish fruit and vegetable words are now familiar to me and I enjoy the act of writing them into my email. After my real life Spanish lesson is over we wait until tomorrow to hear back from Maria for confirmation. As sometimes they may have something new and sometimes they don’t have things. The availability of the produce is always bountiful but is also always changing as the seasons change. I have grown to love this. It makes me feel very in touch with the nature here and reminds me that everything is from the earth here not shipped from all over the world just for my convenience. It’s in accord with the macrobiotic principles of harmoniously engaging with nature’s cycles and eating only what is in season and what is local. I remember in Los Angeles on more than one occasion purchasing from the local organic markets pears, apples and blueberries from where else.. Argentina. As well as other produce from all over the world. Now I see here eating organic is eating local, how beautiful. So on Monday I hear back from Maria the owner of El Rincon via email. Maria is a lovely soul whose aura radiates full spectrum natural light . You can really see the benefits of living a natural lifestyle in her as her beauty is truly healthy. When we first met her she treated us like kindred family members and we love being a part of her family.

Tuesdays are the days our produce arrives. I love Tuesdays. I clean the kitchen anticipating it’s arrival and go through the fridge and reorganize a little to make room. I gather the empty glass bottles that my organic milk and yogurt is delivered in to be exchanged for fresh full bottles. We call to see what time they will arrive and then finally the buzzer rings. I say loudly into the phone “esta abierto” Aldo the delivery man says “Si!! ya subo” and minutes later our sweet, sincere delivery man is at our front door with a basket full of fresh bounty as well as my milk, yogurt, eggs and organic tofu. We pay our bill, tip Aldo and say our goodbyes, till next week. In this moment I feel like I live in the country in the city in the past in the future. It’s a romantic 1950’s European dream type scenario. I place what needs to be in the fridge inside of it and then create a still life on the counter with my manzanas, mandarinas, peras, naranjas, cebollas and papas. Contentedly, I brew an organic mate tea with a drop of organic leche and imagine what I might prepare for dinner.
To know more about El Rincon Organico visit their website ::::::
http://www.elrinconorganico.com.ar/ they not only offer produce and dairy but also deliver organic cheeses, meats, teas, miso, soy sauce, olives and much much more. All at affordable prices.

2 comments:

sarakaplan said...

yummmmmm!!!!
I know where I want to go for my next vacation!!! Your life sounds delicious. I love you.

ginger

Sebastian said...

Does you organic delivery service is free? or theirs a charge? I also experienced one time having an organic food delivered to my house and I stop knowing the big charge of it.